Miss World 2009 Contest Talk with Pooja

Miss World 2009 Contestants
Miss World 2009 Contestants
Before leaving for the Miss World 2009 pageant, Pooja Chopra said, “Day and night I have been dreaming about that crown, how it would feel when I touch it, the colours, the sparkle of the diamond, the sapphire, everything. So the moment I get it, I’m not going to leave it.” We might see her dream coming true in near future.

She is attractive, confident, has an infectious smile and a charming personality. Currently in South Africa for the Miss World 2009 pageant, Pooja Chopra is enjoying the best time of her life.

Be it various competitions, meeting the South African president, getting tips from golf legend Gary Player, an encounter with Africa’s wildlife or a trip to Abu Dhabi, Pantaloons Femina Miss India ’09 Pooja Chopra is making the most of everything. The stunning lady shares some details of her exhilarating journey ...

Pooja Chopra’s Rollercoaster Ride
I think it’s one of the most beautiful experiences of my life. We are living a very fast-paced life here and are travelling a lot. We recently visited five cities in a week. I am experiencing a mixed bag of emotions at the moment.

I am excited that I am representing my country at such a huge platform, meeting people of such high stature; we are showered with gifts wherever we go and are the focus of the entire media. At the same time, there is a lot of pressure, there is hope but the future is quite uncertain.

There is a huge amount of stress, as you have to look perfect all the time. You can’t roam around in casual clothes, everything about you is being observed so closely. How you carry yourself, how you eat, talk, how much you talk ... everything matters here.

India’s quite a Hot Topic
The list of my friends here is very long, yet I will say I am close to the contestants from Bosnia, Serbia, Scotland, Russia and Indonesia, who’s my roommate as well. I also like Miss Japan, she’s really cute.

There are total 112 contestants, all extremely good-looking. We all speak different languages, follow different religions, have vast cultural diversities, yet are bonding pretty well.

Everyone here is so interested in knowing about India and our culture. All the contestants seem familiar with Bollywood. One of my very good friends here, Miss Scotland, has taken my contact details and wants to work in Bollywood. I was surprised to see a contestant wearing a saree during an event. I know so many girls here who are so fond of sarees and salwar kameez.

Recently, a lot of fellow contestants asked me about Aishwarya Rai. They said she is one of the most popular Miss World winners so far. They all are very impressed with her global popularity.

‘Feels nice to see so many Indians here’
I am so far from home and my country, yet I don’t feel like an outsider at all. I met so many Indians here at the airport, during the safari, shopping trips and elsewhere. All of them were so warm and clicked pictures with me. Everybody said they would pray for me.

‘There will be only one Winner’
All of us here are not just contestants, we are all beauty queens. There will be only one Miss World at the end but in a way we all are winners. What matters more is that we are relishing the best time of our lives. We are staying in the most luxurious hotels and are treated like cherished celebrities. It’s no less than a long holiday for all of us.

I think the judges will have a really tough time while choosing one of us, as everyone is so good. Everybody is a strong competitor and has their own strengths. We all are just trying to put in our best efforts and the rest is definitely up to destiny. The other day, I was talking to my mother and she asked me the same question, and I told her that everyone here is so different from each other that it’s difficult to pick the best.

Dealing with Expectations
Indian contenders for Miss Universe and Miss Earth, Ekta and Shriya couldn’t bring the crown home. I am asked if this increases the pressure on me. Don’t remind me about the pressure, I am shouldering a huge responsibility. Obviously, everyone’s eyes are set on me now and they have high hopes from me. I don’t want to think about it at the moment, otherwise the pressure will start showing on my face.

Journey from Pooja Chopra to Miss India
I have always been very respectful towards my country but after coming here, it has gone to another level. I feel more patriotic now. Rather than calling me Pooja, my fellow contestants call me ‘India’ and I also gladly respond to that. That feeling of pride, dignity and honour is simply matchless.

‘Want to Hug Mom’
I am in regular touch with my family; otherwise, I would have surely died. It’s been more than a month that I left India and I am longing to be with my mom.

Lately, all of us went for an art exhibition and all the Miss World contestants were asked to pick a painting from there. I saw a painting, which had me almost in tears. I headed to the washroom immediately as I didn’t want to cry in front of the camera. That painting beautifully showcased a mother hugging her child. I chose that painting for myself. When I was asked why I picked up that art work, I somehow managed to hold my tears and replied, “Desperately need a hug from my mother.”

My mother and grandmother are landing here soon. I just can’t wait to see them, my mom is my lucky charm. I am sure I am going to cry a lot after meeting her.

The Title
I will not say that it’s my life but it’s surely no less than that too. My family and friends who have seen me through everything have so many expectations from me. I just can’t let them down. If I, unfortunately, fail to bag the crown, I really don’t know how I will deal with it. However, I don’t want the pressure to bog me down. I just want to concentrate my energy on winning the Miss World ’09 title.

At the end, I will say that there is nothing beyond God and destiny. Everyone who knows me or doesn’t know me, please pray for me. Go to churches, gurudwaras or temples, fast or organise havans ... I just need everyone’s blessings! Pray for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment